Looking onto the Monts du Morvan, Sainte Madeleine Basilica stands at the top of a steep hill and watches majestically over the winegrowers’ houses and Renaissance dwellings. This masterpiece of Romanesque art was restored by architect Viollet-le-Duc in the 19C and has made Vézelay a Mecca for pilgrimages and a starting point on the way to Santiago de Compostela.
Must-sees and must-dos
- Sainte Madeleine Basilica
- Maison du Visiteur (to prepare your visit of the basilica : slide show, scale models, etc.)
- Musée de l’Oeuvre-Viollet-le-Duc (medieval sculptures and castings from the Basilica)
- Maison Jules Roy (the writer’s house)
- Musée Zervos (modern art 1925-1965) in Romain Rolland’s house
- A guided tour of the village (with the Guides de Pays des Collines association)
- A guided tour of the village and basilica (art, history, symbolism and traditions by Lorant Hecquet, professional lecturer)
- Around the ramparts in a horse-drawn carriage
Participate to an exceptionnal rally accross the Most Beautiful Villages from Paris to Cannes created by 4 roues sous 1 parapluie and the association Les Plus Beaux Villages de France.
From May 8th to 15th 2016, the rally invites you to discover about 20 villages classified among the Most Beautiful Villages of France on the road from Paris to Cannes through an original scenario of treasure hunt !
Driving in your 2CV, by crew of 2 or 4 attendees, you will follow an itinerary thanks to the riddles